October 20, 2010

Back from Arkansas and into the blog

Well, I am back. It has been quite some time since my last post in April, but no that I've graduated and am spending many days doing nothing, I thought I should check in with my lonely blog. I started this to be about the two loves of my life; Phish and food. I think I will probably go back to my theme after this update, but I just have to write something about Harvest Fest.

This past week I was down in the Ozark Mountains or Arkansas, only the best possible place for a bluegrass festival. I was there to work at Yonder Mountain String Band's Harvest Festival, and what a phenomenal Arkansas time I had. We arrived on late Tuesday night after a 24 hour car ride and set up camp to pass out. On Wednesday, I was assigned to do the job of an orange fence and padlocks, but I made some great friends and heard so many loving tales of the beautiful mountain we found ourselves on. The best part of Wednesday night was the surprise late night shows on the backwoods stage (there were three main stages/tents and one side tent that always had something going on- Nomadic Village they called it, pretty cool concept but for another post). There were a few bands who played for the staff and VIPs that night but by far the best was Poor Mans Whiskey. They did this same act again on Thursday, but this was just so much better. Each member dressed as a different character in the Wizard of Oz and they played a bluegrass cover of Dark Side of the Moon, which they called Dark Side of the Moonshine. I highly highly recommend checking out this album, it is truly incredible.

Thursday the festival began and people came flooding in the site- people of all ages, mind you. If I had to guess, I would say at least 25% of the attendees were over 65. It's gotta be that bluegrass spirit that brings people from all walks of life together. Anyway, on Thursday I was assigned to the merchandise tent and that's when the fun really began. I was working with the man who does the merch for SCI and heard some wonderful tales from him. Better still, I got to talk one on one with so many of the festival attendees and hear about their excitement and passion for the music. I got to see a good bit of music that day- Dirtfoot was my favorite, a very dark but funky bluegrass band. I also got to catch some Mountain Sprout and Cornmeal from a far, but as I heard it from customers at the merch booth, highlights of the day included Cletus Got Shot, Split Lip Rayfield, Oakhurst, Pert Near Sandstone, and 1 oz Jig. Railroad Earth obviously played an amazing set that I listened to from a far, dropping classics like Long Walk Home, Mighty River, Like a Buddah, and Bird in a House.

Friday was an amazing day as well, kicked off with a 5 song surprise set from Yonder. I rushed down in time to catch the last of Complicated, which was incredible. Before my shift started, I was able to catch some of Donna the Buffalo, who opened for the Rhythm Devils when I caught them on Long Island back in August. Though I couldn't hear it all too well, the crowed was loving Leftover Salmon as they celebrated their 20th anniversary on the main stage and the field stayed packed as Yonder Mountain String Band took the stage for their first set of the weekend. Bringing it hard like they always do, YMSB impressed everyone and had even the older fans out until 1 am kickin' up dirt. Late night boasted nasty performance by Dirtfoot and Cornmeal, with surprise guests on the backwoods stage who's names I couldn't tell you, unfortunately.

Unusually, the last day of the fest was Saturday, but everyone was ready for the Emmit-Nershi Band to take the stage. They pulled out an amazing mid-afternoon set and played the String Cheese classic "Jellyfish," which people went crazy for. I got my first Sam Bush set, which was actually phenomenal and soulful. Then of course, there isn't much to say about Keller and the Keels, they always- mind you ALWAYS- kill it. They played new stuff and old stuff, fabulous covers from their newest album "Thief" (haha)and wowed everyone who ever doubted Keller's laid back style. The man knows how to rock. And he chose two of the best (Larry and Jenny Keel) to rock along side him. Yonder technically closed the weekend with two amazing sets for which I finagled my staff pass to get me up front (:D) and the rest of Saturday night was filled with debauchery and kids trying to make it last forever. I was one of them, I'll admit. For me, and I think for many others, YMHF marked the end of a most beautiful summer of life music. From All Good to Vibes to Phish Summer and Fall tour, 2010 was a major plus on my music scale. The live music scene could not have been more vibrant or welcoming or enticing. I shall never ever leave festiland.

As far as food goes, I have two words for you: Jerry Roll. That is all, thank you kind vendors for feeding me all summer. I owe your fresh tastes and portable grills a great deal.

Next week, or maybe tomorrow, I'll be back with more. I'm going to get back to my basics, Phish and food, and really try this time. Also, for anyone who has read this far, I really need a job... any job at all as long as it has something to do with music. I have experience, references, a decent resume, I just am not sure where my skills lie. So please contact me if you're interested in learning more about me or have a possible opportunity I could look into. Thanks for reading phriends!!

No comments:

Post a Comment