October 27, 2010

Reason #2:The White Album.

In honor of my very phirst Phish Halloween so close on the horizon (2 days!!!!), I though I would take time to recognize an incredible album that Phish covered Halloween of 1994 in Great Falls, NY. The boys took on the infamous double sided album by the Beatles, The White Album. I personally was not blessed enough to witness this in person, but through my endless hours of listening to LivePhish, this has easily become my favorite full-length cover that the boys too. Well, I shouldn't speak too soon, seeing as there are very few rumors and or guesses flying about as to what album they might bust out this year, and it may just take me by surprise. But for now, this is my favorite musical costume.
The beginning of Back in the USSR opens with a familiar riff and, though Trey's voice doesn't sound as perfect as John or Paul's, how am I gonna say no to my boys playing my boys?? I'm not. And they pretty much nail the whole thing. The vocals stick out, I'm just gonna say that one more time, but I can't deny how good it sounds either way. "While My Guitar Gently Weeps," which has been used several times since this show, is an excellent rendition; Page's piano and harmonies complete this version and make my heart simply bubble. "Rocky Raccoon" is another great track, reminiscent of Harpua in the story telling sense. They kind of skip Birthday, doing an instrumental to wish Brad Sands, the road manager, a happy birthday. Other notable tracks include "Everybody's Got Something to Hide...," a crazy "Helter Skelter" that, if I may say so myself, should probably enter the circuit, if only because it's just so wild and the boys sound like they are having a great time with it, and a "Cry Baby Cry" featuring that epic Electrolux. By the end of the set, you can tell they are getting tired and Trey's voice is tuckering out. The last couple of songs suffer a little, but not enough to make me neglect my favorite band playing my favorite band! This particular cover can be found on LivePhish 13, in the middle of two other killer sets.

In past Halloweens, Phish has also done full album covers of The Who's Quadrophenia (1995- they donned the musical costume so fully, they destroyed their instruments at the end of the show, just as The Who would have), Talking Head's Remain in the Light (1996), The Velvet Underground's Loaded (where they get one of my favorite Phish covers of all time, "Rock 'n' Roll"), and, bringing the tradition back for 2009's Festival 8, The Rolling Stones' Exile on Main Street. (They have often pulled from the cover albums mainstays of their set lists; for example, I have heard Loving Cup and Shine a Light about three thousand times this summer. Not that I'm complaining, just saying.) One other full length cover they did as a surprise just days after performing Loaded. To an almost empty arena, the boys broke out Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon right in the middle of a Harpua. Can you imagine seeing this: "Harpua> Dark Side of the Moon> Harpua" and have missed the show? Well, you know how they love to tease us. It seems likely that they pulled this one off for the few hardcore headzz who showed up to Utah two days after a Halloween run.

Now the question remains: what will they play this year? Last year there was a ton of hype around the album, this year it is very hush hush. Trey hasn't said much to anyone except to confirm that it's happening and will be a challenge for him. He is quoted as saying that this one is for him (what isn't.. oops) and will bring his playing to a whole new level. Rolling Stone thinks there are four options: My Bloody Valentine (please, no), Queen (fingers crossed), Genesis (don't make me sit through that... I'll do it.. but oh lord...), or Led Zeppelin (do it do it do it). Can you tell what I'm hoping for? Other possibilities include David Bowie, Jimi Hendrix, MGMT, and Radiohead. It's all speculation, though, and I won't know until Sunday around 1130 pm. Based on these bands, I will probably not know until someone tells me. But I'm okay with that, I get three sets of my boys <3.

Hey, if you have a great Halloween story, share it with me in comment section, I'd love to hear it! Check in tomorrow to see what my next phavorite thing is as we get closer to seeing Phish again (it's been a painful three days)!

No comments:

Post a Comment